Sunday, 27th September 1942

My Dear Mother & Father,

Received yours of 16th August and am very pleased to hear you are all well and enjoying lovely weather. We too are still enjoying lovely weather but, of course, much cooler than it used to be; the nights are now drawing in, darkness falls at 8.00pm.

The parcel sent in May arrived today- Burt drew it and signed for it whilst I was having a bath, so don't be surprised when you see his name on the receipt card! The boots are just perfect for a continental winter - but what a weight - do you know there are 157 studs in each  boot?  I'll come home in them!  You refer to the January parcel in the above letter - in case my acknowledgement of it has gone astray, I received it last June.

I have just spent an enjoyable two hours listening to a very interesting lecture entitled, "A New Yorker in New York" given by an American POW.  Another of our pastimes is the theatre and I enclose a photograph of a scene in a recent production.

Once again I close with regards from Burt - we are both very well and hope to be with you about this time next year.

Love,
Arthur

On this day;
In New Guinea... The Australian offensives forces the withdrawal of Japanese troops back down the Kokado Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment