Sunday, 2nd June 1940

My dear Mother and Father,

Here at last are a few lines to put your worries at rest.  I know quite well you will be worrying.  Once again I am in hospital, this time with a small wound to my left ankle.  I spent 7 or 8 days in bed and I am now getting about on crutches, managing very well too.

I hope my last letter reached you alright, I wrote it whilst travelling in a car so naturally my writing wasn't so legible.

Next time you write to Bill, please explain to him why I have never written, he will be wondering what's wrong with me.  And if Dorothy sees A. Clough at work, ask her to tell him I am alright etc.

If at any time you feel unduly worried about the scarcity of letters from me write to;
Regimental Adjutant,
Regimental Headquarters,
Irish Guards,
Birdcage Walk, S.W.1
quote my number, rank and name (as above) and he will tell you all the news about me.

Did you go to London?  I hope you enjoyed yourself.  I am sorry I wasn't there to show you around, anyhow it's about time you knew London like P. Sunlight.

I am sorry I can't put a lot in this letter, but I expect to be home someday in the near future and don't forget, no worrying, I am in the best of health and well looked after.  I must wish you both good-bye for the present and I will write again at the first opportunity.  Give my love to Dorothy and regards to anybody else.

Your loving son,
Arthur




Mother and Father receive 2 letters.



Mother and Father received a letter from Regimental Headquarters, dated 28th May 1940, informing them that their son was missing.
It suggests he may have been captured and could now be a prisoner of war. They assure my parents they will make every effort to locate my whereabouts.


They also received the following letter, dated 2nd June 1940.

Dear Mr Evans,
You will have heard by now that your son is reported missing by the war office. I am sorry to say that I have not heard any further news of him. The Battalion was attacked by Germans at close quarters with hand grenades and your son was wounded in the ankle. The wound was not severe and he was able to make his way down to Boulogne where he was seen on the quay the next day. I was extremely surprised to learn that he was missing as I did not think he would have had any difficulty in getting aboard a destroyer. There was a heavy bombardment of the port by the Germans later in the day and you will understand that it was not possible for me to see exactly what happened to him.
As his Station Commander,I should like to say that since he had been in the anti tank corp he had done extremely well. He was keen and efficient and as Platoon Sergeant he was a very great help to me in every way. I think there must be a good chance of him still being alive as a prisoner of war and I hope you will not give up hope of his eventual return. If there is any further information which I can give you please let me know.
Yours sincerely,
A.A. Eardley Wilmot
2/Lt 2nd Battalion, Irish Guards.




On this day;
On the Western Front... During the day the Dunkirk perimeter, now manned entirely by French forces, is largely driven in but the Germans still cannot penetrate to the town. The beach area is only two miles long after this advance, however. Both before dawn and after dark the evacuation continues, with 26,256 men being taken off, including the last British unit to leave. Just before midnight the evacuation dies to a trickle. There are still plenty of ships but the French troops have not been given proper orders about where to go and which piers are in use. Many more have gone to earth in and around town and will take no further part in military operations.


No comments:

Post a Comment